Thursday, November 08, 2018

November 8, 2018

So I am lifting two days this week because I'm taking the car to get worked on Saturday morning. The goal is to lift 3 days a week. However, I'm doing full body workouts just in case stuff like this comes up. I'm doing HIIT with the sprints set at 3 for now. 5 sprints total. Using an exercise bike. Sometimes I think about doing the longer full body HIIT workout, also called the 7 minute workout.

Tuesday and Thursday I lifted


Squat set 1, 5x135, set 2-5 5x180
Bench set 1, 5x135, set 2-5 5x155
Deadlifts set 1, 5x135, set 2-5 5x200

I weighed in at 157.5 today which wasn't inspiring. Going to a family event over the weekend set me back a bit. I'll keep trying to get into the 148lb category for December 1

Slowly I'm developing an interest in some of my mental and emotional muscles.

I'm planning on doing HIIT tomorrow and I can do a short workout early on Saturday, or maybe the car will be done fast enough to get to the gym afterwards. 

KEEP GRINDING!

ABOUT THE BLOG:

This blog started years ago to talk about self-care and weightlifting. It stopped for a few years. It was restarted when I was told that I was diabetic. I had an A1C of 9.3. A1C is an estimate of your blood sugar level over the last 3 months and 6.5 is pre-diabetic, and usually over 7 is considered diabetic. In March I was re-tested and my A1C was 5.0. That's below pre-diabetic (so, essentially non-diabetic). It was nice to have my doctor say, "you used to be diabetic." I'm still working on improving my insulin sensitivity and not thinking I'm out of the woods yet. My September 2017 retest came back with and A1C of 4.9.  March 2018 test came back with 5.2 A1C. My September 2018 test came back with 5.1 A1C. 

Weight wasn't my goal though it changed with everything. I started at 195 and after three months I was at 155. My lowest since this has been 142 and I've gotten back up to 165 and weight is changing again.

The results were from diet and exercise. Here is a quick summary of how I responded to being diagnosed as diabetic. I'm going to post this review every so often. Mostly when I post the blog to Twitter or Facebook.

My lifting approach was to gain muscle to help with insulin sensitivity so I focused on compound exercises mostly (deadlift, bench, squat, overhead press) with some other things to round out such as pull-ups and bicep curls. I'm currently doing a 3 way split.

Between now and the end of November I will be focusing on Strength. I went up to 5 "sprints" for cardio. I'm listing my goals in my general PRs page


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?