Sunday, December 08, 2019

Post December 2019 Meet Check-In

I participated in the NASA NM Christmas Regional yesterday. It felt good and I did better than I expected. I was actually feeling like maybe this would be my last meet. However, it ended up inspiring me to keep at it. Sometimes doing "timecard" things works.

"Timecard" workouts are when you go workout even if you don't want to. Often after you get started you feel inspired, and if not, you still got your workout in. Since I had posted that I would attend this meet, I went though less that super pumped about it. Ended up feeling motivated to step up a little more.

There were a bunch of lifters and the meet lasted until about 7:30PM. It was long, and there were a lot of great lifts. Ultimately I completed 10 lifts. They all felt good. I had some good positive reinforcement from some of the judges and other lifters. I received some good constructive criticism from some of the judges on form of lifts.

I'll be wanting to see if I can get some significant strength gains the next couple of years. I'm not a trainer but from what I've read, I probably have a couple of years where I can pull off some good growth and then I'll be at a stage where I can get smaller yet consistent growth until I peak out. I'll spend some time thinking of goals. Arbitrarily I'll use Valentine's Day because102. a friend is doing a half marathon and we will be holding each other accountable to progress that weekend, and April 25 which is the next meet I'll attend.

So I weighed in at 171.0 with gear. I was hoping for 165, and I'll keep working on that. My best squat was 102.5 kilos (226 lbs), my best bench was 90 kilos (198lbs), and my best deadlift was 135 kilos (298lbs). All of that met my goals, and squats went over. I did successfully lift 204lbs on bench, however I racked it before given the command. I'll be using these numbers to set up my programming for the coming few months.

I still have some running and endurance goals as well. There were a lot of people I kept in mind during this meet. A friend Ali who talked about going to the Christmas regional a while back is how I got started in competing. Lee who gives tons of advice and coaching. Ruben who is working at reversing his diabetes. And lots of other people who inspire me to keep at it, even the critics provide motivation.

Low-end goals would be to increase each lift by 2.5 kilos. Here's what I would really be pleased by for April:
Squat - 112.5k/248lbs
Bench - 95k/209lbs
Deadlift - 145k/320lbs

These are semi arbitrary goals. I picked these by using Symmetric Strength's "analyze your strength" feature. According to that my bench is currently 6% above average, deadlift 3% above average, and squat 10% below average relative to other lifters. I did a rough calculation to get to 10% above on bench and deadlift and it gave me those numbers. 248 would bring me close to the average (250). 125k/276lb would get me to the 10% above. So I will try to get that average caught up this coming year. 

Let's see how it goes!

KEEP GRINDING!



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?