Monday, May 27, 2019

May 2019 Diabetes Self-Treatment Story

Someone through my work connections was diagnosed as diabetic and put on insulin. He gained 20 lbs and wasn't feeling great. He was referred by another work buddy for a way to deal with diabetes without the meds. 

I shared the link for how I had dealt with diabetes diagnosis. His sugars were at 273. He was dealing with the "dawn effect" on his morning readings. He reviewed my post and watched the videos. I suggested he talk with his doc about fasting. He had already decided to take himself off of the insulin and start fasting. After a few days his fasting glucose dropped from 273 to 190. 

He's been trying one meal a day. His blood pressure is really good his numbers keep dropping. He's dropped weight and still having good blood pressure readings. His reading are below 170 on the glucose. 

I know what type of challenge this is and I appreciate that he wants me to share this to hopefully inspire others. I'll be checking in with him as he goes forward. It's important to have support on this type of journey. 

Since the Y was closed today I went to run and do the push-ups. I did 0.59 miles at an 11 minute pace which is faster than my 12 minute pace from Saturday. I think as I get comfortable and in better shape the pace will keep improving. 

KEEP GRINDING!!!

Comments:
Thanks for sharing his story. It's unfortunate that he ended up in this situation, but it is still inspiring to hear stories like these, and like yours, where people face adversity, commit to the struggle for a better life and make lifelong positive changes as a result.

My journey is different, because I wasn't faced with major health issues due to my inability to take good care of myself. But you know the lifestyle changes I've made to get to where I am today, and we both know how hard it can be to achieve what we have, and the challenges that come along the way. Let me know if I can be of help in any way.


 
Thanks for the feedback. I think it is unfortunate when you end up in a bad place and can't get yourself out. All of our journeys have differences and similarities. That's the beauty of humanity.

Sharing challenges, asking for help, and trying to figure out how to be a "Team" in the broadest sense is most helpful. It is hard to balance community and individual responsibility in a society that is super individualistic.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?