Sunday, April 28, 2019

Post April 2019 Meet Check In

I think I had a successful meet in Gallup. I'm essentially competing against myself. It is great to try and see my progress. There aren't many people in my age and weight doing "retro" lifting in NASA in New Mexico. I'm sure there are many people who are lifting more than I am, they just aren't competing.

Instead of cutting extra hard before the meet for weight I went ahead and entered at 165lbs. I've done 148lb weight class before. I weighed in at 161 with jeans and shoes. The first meet last April I entered in unequipped (which includes knee and wrist wraps). Last December and yesterday I entered in "Retro" which allows for a belt, however I lift without one, and so did most of the others at different ages and weight classes lifting retro. (EDIT: I lift without a belt or wrist wraps, this is often called lifting "raw.")

For squat I missed my opener at 87.5kg (193lbs) for not going deep enough. I went for 90kg (198lbs) on second because it felt like it was a weight I could get. 90kg went up easy. For my third lift I went for 92.5kg (204lbs). That lift didn't clear. It was also lacking depth. One judge said, that it was "just barely too high." My mentality was off for this lift. At the gym I was able to get 225lbs (102.5kg) so 92.5 or 95kg is doable. I went in expecting it to be hard. At the end will be a some thoughts on making a personal record (PR) next outing.

For bench press I did opened with 80kg (176lbs). It went up fairly easy. I then did 82.5kg (182lbs), and 85kg (187lbs). Since I completed my 3rd attempt at a NASA National and State record I was allowed a 4th lift. I was asked a gentleman named Josh to help to help lift off the rack for me. I went and cleared 87.5kg (193lbs). That's a PR for me in competition.

By the time I started to bench I pulled my mind to thinking about this as a privilege to be participating in this type of event. Being able to lift in a competition was a good challenge and experience. So I took more time prepping and breathing before setting up and actually lifting. Definitely something to keep practicing. Bench also happens to be the lift that is easiest for me to visualize.

For deadlift I went and warmed up. I pulled 275lbs (in the Gallup HS gym they have traditional pound oriented weights). Still I was thinking of lowering my opener from 117.5kg to 102.5kg. Using self talk, visualization, and breathing I was able to stick on it. Opening with 259lbs went up easy. Then I went to 122.5kg (270lbs) and 127.5kg (281lbs). Because this was considered national and state records I was allowed a 4th lift. I went for 135kg (298lbs) and it was challenging yet I pulled it successfully. I remembered to smile before each lift and focus on how I had visualized lifting before.

Overall I am considered to have lifted 312.5kg (689lbs) total. Your other lifts aren't counted in that, however my body definitely feels the other lifts. There was a great deal I learned in this process that I hadn't learned in others. Before I go into that there are so many people to thank. My family most importantly. Lee and partner for feedback, guidance, and cheering on have been a super great help! So many of you have been a great support.

Pushing hard was challenging and doable. Planning for lifts and being able to do a little more in the gym than what I expected to do at the meet was helpful overall. Saying and writing that, "squats are my weakest lift" isn't helpful. They definitely need some work and I'll be on that. Initially for squats I was focusing on that the people I usually talk to weren't there, I didn't see any other lifters that represented The Power Plant, etc. Not to be too harsh on myself, however I think I was essentially doing the "pity party" thing. It took some work to get focused and positive. That's part of what I'll keep working on. I plan on continuing to do the three lifts while adding endurance. It is good for me to know that I can compete at both 148lb and 165lb weight classes. I doubt I'll go to 132lb or 181lb weight classes soon.

Specifically I'll be working on hip flexibility, back strength, and training so that I'm always going as low as possible on squats so I can focus on moving the weight. Specifically some muscle building, stretching, and developing power throughout the entire squat. For deadlifts and bench press I will work on accessory muscles to make sure to avoid imbalances that can lead to injuries. Lateral hip strength, rotator cuff muscle development, and grip strength will be key.

Since I'm planning to start running a lot of lower body flexibility and stability work will be key. Things like "monster walks" and core work will be key. Starting with the stretches and light lifts suggested here will also be part of this work.

Visualization and developing a routine for my key lifts are the plan. This feels like a good plan. My cardio and bike routine will change up for more endurance as well. The exercises below are in the link above as well.

Thanks to those of you who tell me this blog is helpful.

KEEP GRINDING AND KEEP HIITING!!!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?