Thursday, April 18, 2019

2nd Workout of Last Heavy Week April 2019

Continued to think over much of the mental work needed to be healthier. I think it is a good practice to develop this aspect in and out of the gym. Also had some good feedback on the earlier blog posts.

I'm still in touch with Lee from The PowerPlant. I really appreciate his support. He helps me keep things in perspective.

I'm also appreciative of my friend who introduced me. She had told me that the blog inspired her to compete in a powerlifting meet, she had competed before, and that inspired me to compete. It was a good push as I wasn't sure what I would be doing to keep focused on exercising to deal with the diabetes and general health.

I'll keep doing some powerlifting going forward. I think it is time to add some endurance work as well. I'm nervous about running and also excited for the challenge. It will be a huge deal. I have a marathon-running friend who is providing some encouragement. Actually I have several friends who run. There are many friends who think running is crazy. I get that. I used to think many exercise programs were useless if you weren't an athlete. However I'm obviously in a different place now.

It's interesting how our attitudes can change through our life. I'm really happy for that flexibility. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to grow and change. I've tried to be friendly and loving toward others all through my entire life. However I know I've been mean, grouchy, and a few times actually abusive. Hopefully I can keep growth in mind for the rest of my life.

OK, enough of that. Below is my workout for today.

Bike warm-up, 10 minutes
Range of Motion exercises

Squat 135x5, 205x3, 225x3, and 230x3. I was surprised that I felt like trying 230. Even more surprising is that I was on an awkward squat rack and I needed to lower the pins. I asked these guys who go in and do "strong-man" work to help me with that.

Bench 135x5, 185x3, 195x3, and 200x3. I asked the same guys to spot me. It was nice to get over myself and ask for help. I definitely won't go past 200. It was hard even with a spotter. I may stop at 195 if no one is in the gym with me on Saturday.

Deadlifts 135x5, 225x3, 245x3, and 270x2. For the third rep my lower back didn't feel right so I stopped. In my mind I was having the conversation about whether I should try to push through or stop. I think being safe is OK. Just another spot to work on. 265x3 can be calculated as 289, and 270x2 comes out to 284 at this 1RM Calculator. Both get me past my last record. I'll go by feel on Saturday.

I did push-ups and the gripper as super sets
Push-ups 42, 42, 16
Gripper 25lbs for three sets of 20

Then I did 10 burpees, stretches and a wall stretch.

My elbows are both feeling like I worked out. Other than that I'm feeling pretty good for this heavy of a workout.

KEEP GRINDING!!!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?