Sunday, January 13, 2019

Self Check-In

This morning I was wondering, "why do I write this blog?" I thought about the initial starting point of wanting to just keep a log. Then people have told me how the blog has inspired them. That seems like a valuable purpose. I had a friend, who's now a firefighter, who would tell people to read my blog. He enjoyed reading the workouts (I varied routines more than now). I remember him telling someone about the total weights I was posting for a while.

More recently people have told me that my reversing my diabetes has been inspiring. This continues to seem like a useful purpose. I was resistant to the idea that you had to look a certain way to be considered healthy. That cost me a good chunk of health. Poor medical advice cost me some health as well. At the end of the day it's on me. My focus on social and community level health issues left me unbalanced with my self-care.

Self-care for me is still different. My well-being allows for me to do things that are enjoyable and healthy for me. Most importantly it allows me to be more effective in the service of others.

My Pops called while I was writing this. He complained about his chronic pain. He talked about his 26 years of service and feeling like the VA has not given him good quality care. It was a tough call. Just hit home how much personal stuff I deal with. Raises that question of, "how do you help others when you're not able to help those closest to you?"

And truth is that I do help those closest to me. Some of the people I love the most are physically far away. Some of those I love the most are emotionally far away because of something I did, or didn't do. Doesn't mean I don't care. At the end of the day, I have a lot of work that I do for those near me and I don't publish many details for a variety of reasons.

So today's blog is dedicated to those I know and love dealing with mental, behavioral, and emotional issues. To those dealing with chronic pain, and other chronic health issues including addictions. To those who are disconnected and isolated in any fashion.

To be near people and feel isolated, lonely, or unsupported still impacts your health in similar ways as actually being physically isolated. "Feeling lonely" often can be minimalized. So reach out and connect, we could all use it.

The balance to all of this is I have the opportunity to make personal and community impact. I will continue to work to help those near me, and those I don't know. I have the privilege of working at a place that has the responsibility for the health of Bernalillo County. And because of that I own the responsibility of the health of the County. Doesn't mean I think I can improve health of the County alone. It means that I have the responsibility to lead, manage, and support the teams necessary for that health.

That's my intent. My intent is to create a healthy home, healthy workplace, and healthy County!

So here's my workout check-in. 
Saturday (Day 3)
5 minute warm-up and Range of Motion exercises
Deadlift 155x5, 180x5, 200x7
5 sets of 20 push-ups
5 sets of 1 minute planks
4 sets of 8 good mornings with the bar, and one set of 10 (It was easier than I thought)
Flat bench 135x5, 5, 5

I'll still get my 100 push-ups today! Time to go out and crush it.

EDIT: 100 Push-Ups complete!

KEEP GRINDING!

Comments:
Just this evening I emailed a former colleague, a Psychologist, who told me she went from 0.8 FTE to 0.7 FTE to have more time for self care, partly due to conversations we had when we worked together not too long ago. A reminder of how much I've changed my way of thinking these past few years, after making a huge fitness and life transformation. Unfortunately also a reminder of how I'm not practicing what I've been preaching nearly as much as I should.

It's taken me a while to truly believe that taking care of myself is a form of taking care of others. And that taking care of myself is a revolutionary act, especially in these times we live in now. Finding that balance between taking good care of myself and giving as much as I can back to the community, WITHOUT COMPROMISING MY HEALTH, is a struggle I have yet to overcome. I'm back full circle to making commitments that compromise my personal well being, frustrated by it, but happy that at the very least I can recognize it early. Still unsure about what I can and will do, but also proud that I can be somewhat at peace with where I'm at and be more open minded to the options in front of me.

Thanks for writing this post, and for listening to my rants!
 
I think you could easily have your own blog, though that becomes another thing on your plate. You're smart and dedicated, and lots of people could benefit from your perspective.


I came to realize, and often forget, that my self-care is ultimately for the community. I'm not as able to do what I want for myself or the community if I'm blind, diabetic, and tired. It's a tough balance and I'm hoping to keep at it. Thanks for your comments! They help a great deal!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?