Saturday, January 05, 2019

Back at Lifting

Talked with my friend Roberto yesterday about lifting and he was telling me percentages made think of my last meet. I weighed in at 147 lbs and lifted 203lbs on squat. That's 1.38 times my weight. Bench was 176 which is 1.19 times my bodyweight. Deadlifts were 264 which is 1.8 times my bodyweight. I'll have to set goals for next meet. Roberto shared with me that Martin Berkhan has put out there that ideal achievements for the lifts are 200% bodyweight on squat, 120% on bench, and 250% on deadlifts. That would be 294 lbs on squat, 176.4 lbs on bench (there!), and 367.5 on deadlifts. Those are some serious goals! I'll have a long way to go. 

Today I lifted 
For squats it was 5x135lbs, 5x145lbs, 5x155lbs, 5x165lbs, and 6x175lbs.
For bench press it was 5x135, 5x140, 5x145, 5x150, and 6x155.
For deadlifts it was 5x135, 5x155, 5x175, 5x185, and 6x190.
I did 5 sets of 20 push-ups for my 100 for the day.
Then a stretch for 5 minutes.

My cousin Selena is doing 30 push-ups a day, and Lee Salas from The PowerPlant will match my 100 a day on push-ups. (I know that's a repeat, just important to say.) 


KEEP GRINDING!!!

Comments:
Well done! You're a lot closer to those benchmarks than I. I'm focusing less of my energy on numbers, probably because of injury, feeling less anxious to push myself to the next level, reaching the point of having a decent amount of experience under my belt. But I'm not out there competing and setting records. ;)

I once met a woman at a conference who would at random tell people (who agreed to it ahead of time) to drop and do 10 pushups. I invite you to do the same. Makes me think of doing something similar with the students I work with.

I struggled to commit myself to listen to that former seal, but after hearing you reference him a few times, am able to give it a real shot. Thanks.


 
Thank you Roberto!

I'll have to write about my work "break" routine this coming week. I'm still lifting completely "raw" (not even a belt which is allowed in NASA "retro" and "unequipped" categories). I know this means I lift less. I may take on a belt for max lifts to try and help prevent injuries.

Different people are hard for different ones of us to listen to. Mark Divine, Jocko, Goggins, all have their own edge that can be challenging. I just look for the "nuggets" and leave the rest behind.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the work with the students. :)


 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?