Sunday, December 02, 2018

After the Tournament

I strained my back before the long weekend. I was worried that I was hurt and wouldn't be able to lift for the Powerlifting Tournament yesterday. Ice, heat, and rest worked well. I ended up squatting 92.5 kilos (203lbs), bench pressing 80 kilos (176lbs), and deadlifting 120 kilos (264lbs). I was in the 148lb weight class. I entered the "retro" category, an unequipped competition.

It started off stressful and became more fun as things went by. I made all but one of my lifts. I attempted 209 lbs on the Squat and missed it on technique. I was able to get the weight up, yet tilted in the process.

There are lots of things that I've been thinking about the last month. Much of it has focused on small habits and mental training I need to do. One of the things that I am experimenting with, and getting good results in the short term is controlling my breathing. The idea is that you can reduce "fight, flight, or freeze" response by controlling your breath. So I have been following along with the video below a few times a day.



There is some research that looks at chronic stress and how it makes people sick. This is motivating me to look at this more.



After this last round of powerlifting I think I'm going to try at least a month of bodyweight exercises. Lots of push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, air squats, jumping jacks, etc. It seems like my joints could use a break. There also seems to be a different mental discipline involved in this type of training.

KEEP GRINDING!! KEEP HIITing!!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?