Monday, November 19, 2018

Monday of Last week of Prep

This is my last week of prep before the December 1 meet. Because of the holiday I'm lifting Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Next week I'll lift Tuesday and Thursday and just focus on form with the bar. 

Today I lifted:
Squat 5x135, 5x185, 5x190, 4x195, 3x200
Bench 5x135, 5x165, 4x170, 4x175, 2x180
Deadlifts 5x135, 4x235 for two sets, 3x240, 3x245 

I hope that I had good form on the squats. It didn't feel as hard as I expected. Bench was good right up to the 175, the 180 felt really tough. I started the third rep and realized I wouldn't get it. Deadlifts have been lagging so I pushed it. They felt hard. I'll push 235+ again on Wednesday. I'll go by feel and try to increase anything that feels ok. 

I think I'll make weight for the event. I'm just hoping that I'll get a chance to lift at weight before the meet. 

I'm actually feeling physically better than I have in most of my previous workouts. I tried to control my breathing and I think that helped. I'll have to keep trying to get the blood pressure down. 

For December I might try a non-barbell focused type of workout. 

Below is my guess of a 1 rep max calculated from Symmetric Strength first then my goal from last meet (5 pounds higher than last meet).
Squat 218 (200)
Bench 189 (170)
Deadlift 267 (270) 


KEEP GRINDING!

ABOUT THE BLOG:
This blog started years ago to talk about self-care and weightlifting. It stopped for a few years. It was been restarted when I was told that I was diabetic. I had an A1C of 9.3. A1C is an estimate of your blood sugar level over the last 3 months and 6.5 is pre-diabetic, and usually over 7 is considered diabetic. In March I was re-tested and my A1C was 5.0. That's below pre-diabetic (so, essentially non-diabetic). It was nice to have my doctor say, "you used to be diabetic." I'm still working on improving my insulin sensitivity and not thinking I'm out of the woods yet. My September retest came back with and A1C of 4.9.  March 2018 test came back with 5.2 A1C. I'm happy for all of the people who enjoy and appreciate this blog, and even for the people who spend more time on the blog than I do. 

The results were from diet and exercise. Here is a quick summary of how I responded to being diagnosed as diabetic. I'm going to post this review every so often. Mostly when I post the blog to Twitter or Facebook.

My lifting approach was to gain muscle to help with insulin sensitivity so I focused on compound exercises mostly (deadlift, bench, squat, overhead press) with some other things to round out such as pull-ups and bicep curls. I'm currently still doing full body workouts and on a strength routine.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?