Sunday, April 29, 2018

I Entered a Powerlifting Meet

So I entered a powerlifting competition this weekend. I did not post anything ahead of time because you often get detractors when you are trying something new. I wanted to stay as focused as possible.

I joined the Natural Athlete Strength Association and jumped in. I weighed in at 145.6 and went for it. It was stressful, as most new things are, and I didn't know anyone there. I had practiced with commands once and was still nervous about it. You give your weights by kilograms so that was also an added thing to learn. I knew that going in yet didn't really have a plan for that. Lee from The Power Plant gave me my "opener" numbers and I went with that. Openers are your first lift.

I missed my first attempt at the squat because I didn't go low enough. A mistake of nerves. I tried the same weight on second try and felt really good about it. My second attempt went smooth also. My squat opener was 83 kilos and my second attempt was 87.5. However my shoulder was hurting. I think it was more from tensing up than the actual weight.

I opened with 70 kilos on bench and that was fairly easy. I dropped it from the suggested 77.5 just to be safe with my shoulder. I went to 75 and that felt easy as well. I tried 87.5 on the third attempt and could not lock it out. It's a weight I've lifted before and I think it was nerves and possibly just a not a great day.

For deadlift I opened with 100 kgs and that was easy. I wanted to get all three of this lift since I had missed one each on squat and bench. I did 110 on 2nd and someone told me it looked easy. I was tempted to jump a lot and decided to stick to the plan and I did 120 on the third try and it felt heavy yet was a good solid lock out.

So I lifted 282.5 kilos successfully between all 3 lifts combined. Now that I know how commands and competition works I can be better prepared. I think I also need to figure out warming-up a little better.

The category I was in was the 148 category. That's probably a good category for me. The next category is 165 and those guys were just relatively huge. I don't know if I'll compete again. If I do it will be in the "retro powerlifting" category. I was in unequipped powerlifting, this still gives you a belt and wraps. Since I lift completely "raw" (no belt, now wraps, etc.) I figure that's a good category for me.

If I do enter again I will want to hit 102.5 kilos on the squat, 92.5 kilos on the bench, and 130 kilos on the deadlift. That would be 325 kilos total and I think a good goal.

Next week I'm going to lift light and focus on recovery.

What's next overall? 
I'll focus on staying in the 145-150 lb range. I'll check my blood pressure and glucose a little more as well.

For May, June, and July I will probably go back to doing 4 sets of 6-10, after a warm-up set, with minimal rest to build more muscle. August and September will likely be sets of 5-8 transitioning into functional muscle strength. October until the end of the year will probably be sets of 3-5 focusing on strength and weight maintenance. I think doing sets of 2 and sets of 1 may have been counterproductive. It's a lot of wear and tear on joints and neurological system to work out that way.


KEEP GRINDING!

ABOUT THE BLOG: This blog started years ago to talk about self-care and weightlifting. It stopped for a few years. It was been restarted when I was told that I was diabetic. I had an A1C of 9.3. A1C is an estimate of your blood sugar level over the last 3 months and 6.5 is pre-diabetic, and usually over 7 is considered diabetic. In March I was re-tested and my A1C was 5.0. That's below pre-diabetic (so, essentially non-diabetic). It was nice to have my doctor say, "you used to be diabetic." I'm still working on improving my insulin sensitivity and not thinking I'm out of the woods yet. My September retest came back with and A1C of 4.9.  March 2018 test came back with 5.2 A1C. I'm happy for all of the people who enjoy and appreciate this blog, and even for the people who spend more time on the blog than I do. 


The results were from diet and exercise. Here is a quick summary of how I responded to being diagnosed as diabetic. I'm going to post this review every so often. Mostly when I post the blog to Twitter or Facebook.


My lifting approach was to gain muscle to help with insulin sensitivity so I focused on compound exercises mostly (deadlift, bench, squat, overhead press) with some other things to round out such as pull-ups and bicep curls. I'm currently still doing full body workouts and on a strength routine. 

May into the summer will be focused on building some muscle, trying to get some speed on my HIIT sprints, and watching health markers like glucose and blood pressure. Fall will be probably go for functional strength. Winter will be a power phase though I don't think I will work out with "doubles" and "singles" in the future. 

I did 1 rep max testing with Lee from the Power Plant and here is what I pulled on 11/22/17 at 152 lbs.
Squat 235
Bench 220
Deadlift 285

I entered a powerlifting meet on 4/28/18 and completed 7/9 attempted lifts. Here are my competition "PRs" (personal records)
Squat 87.5 kilos (193lbs)
Bench 75 kilos (165lbs)
Deadlift 120 kilos (265lbs)


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?