Sunday, March 11, 2018

Third Week of Strength Cycle #1, 2018

Started feeling better this past week. Had my doctor's appointment, and worked on building some stuff at home. 

Worked on HIIT with the exercise bike resistance set on 24 for the sprints. In May I may increase the time on the sprints. For now I'll just keep cycling between 22-25 at 20 seconds with 2 minutes in between. I'm hoping to get to a higher speed before adding time. 


I lifted 3 times this week.

Tuesday:
Deadlifts 240 for 4 sets of 3
Squats 195 for 4 sets of 3
Bench 185 for 4 sets of 3
Pull-Ups with 6 pounds extra for three sets of 4
Overhead Press 35lb Dumbbells for three sets of 5 
Curls 25lb Dumbbells for three sets of 5 

Thursday:
Deadlifts 240 for 3 sets of 3 and one set of 6
Squats 195 for 3 sets of 3 and one set of 5
Bench 185 for 3 sets of 3 and one set of 5
Pull-Ups with 6 pounds extra for two sets of 4 and one set of 5
Overhead Press 35lb Dumbbells for two sets of 5 and one set of 6 
Curls 25lb Dumbbells for two sets of 5 and one set of 7 

Saturday:
Deadlifts 240 for 3 sets of 3 and one set of 7
Squats 195 for 3 sets of 3and one set of 6
Bench 185 for 4 set of 4 (just couldn't get that extra rep out)
Pull-Ups with 6 pounds extra for 2 sets of 4 and one set of 5
Overhead Press 35lb Dumbbells for 2 sets of 5 and one set of 7
Curls 25lb Dumbbells for 2 sets of 5 and one set of 7 

I'm going to go lighter on the accessory work and focus on primary lifts. I may be pushing it too hard. 


KEEP GRINDING!

ABOUT THE BLOG: This blog started years ago to talk about self-care and weightlifting. It stopped for a few years. It was been restarted when I was told that I was diabetic. I had an A1C of 9.3. A1C is an estimate of your blood sugar level over the last 3 months and 6.5 is pre-diabetic, and usually over 7 is considered diabetic. In March I was re-tested and my A1C was 5.0. That's below pre-diabetic (so, essentially non-diabetic). It was nice to have my doctor say, "you used to be diabetic." I'm still working on improving my insulin sensitivity and not thinking I'm out of the woods yet. My September retest came back with and A1C of 4.9.  March 2018 test came back with 5.2 A1C. I'm happy for all of the people who enjoy and appreciate this blog. 


The results were from diet and exercise. Here is a quick summary of how I responded to being diagnosed as diabetic. I'm going to post this review every so often. Mostly when I post the blog to Twitter or Facebook.


My lifting approach was to gain muscle to help with insulin sensitivity so I focused on compound exercises mostly (deadlift, bench, squat, overhead press) with some other things to round out such as pull-ups and bicep curls. I'm currently still doing full body workouts and on a strength routine. 

Between now and the end of April I will be focusing on strength. I will be lifting heavier with sets of 5 or less for the most part. I may go up to 4 "sprints" for cardio at some point. 

I did 1 rep max testing with Lee from the Power Plant and here is what I pulled on 11/22/17
Squat 235
Bench 220
Deadlift 285



Comments:
Keep up the good work, Enrique. To help lower your blood pressure I recommend medicinal marijuana. It works wonders for me, both recreationally and medicinally. You know this already, the benefits of a couple leƱos a day is truly remarkable. When the old lady is on my ass, like she is 8 days a week, a little toke then subsequent poke (hehe) with my girlfriend truly relieves stress and I'm sure blood pressure too. But I don't know if you get "drug" tested because you work for the government. I don't know if I cover it with insurance yet. Makes me want to move to Colorado.
 
I totally agree. Keller needs to get off his lazy, lily white ass and start keeping his promises. Make recreational and medicinal marijuana available on demand to the people of Albuquerque. Word!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?