Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Last Week Check-In 2/20/18

First of all, thanks to all of you who tell me in person that you read the blog and that it's helpful. I also appreciate the thoughtful comments. I'm seriously amazed at how much energy other people put into this blog.

Last week I took the car into the shop and didn't make it to work out every day. 

I was able to get in HIIT on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I didn't increase the tension for the sprints because it was deload week. 

On Thursday and Saturday I lifted:

Deadlifts 145lbs for four sets of 10.
Squats at 115lbs for four sets of 10.
Incline bench at 110 for four sets of 10.


Pull-up for three sets of 3

Overhead press with 20lb dumbbells for three sets of 12. 
Dumbbell curls with 10s for three sets of 12. 


KEEP GRINDING!

ABOUT THE BLOG: This blog started years ago to talk about self-care and weightlifting. It stopped for a few years. It was been restarted when I was told that I was diabetic. I had an A1C of 9.3. A1C is an estimate of your blood sugar level over the last 3 months and 6.5 is pre-diabetic, and usually over 7 is considered diabetic. In March I was re-tested and my A1C was 5.0. That's below pre-diabetic (so, essentially non-diabetic). It was nice to have my doctor say, "you used to be diabetic." I'm still working on improving my insulin sensitivity and not thinking I'm out of the woods yet. My September retest came back with and A1C of 4.9. It is exciting to be working on this and I'm pleased people feel inspired by reading this blog. 

The results were from diet and exercise. Here is a quick summary of how I responded to being diagnosed as diabetic. I'm going to post this review every so often. Mostly when I post the blog to Twitter or Facebook.


My lifting approach was to gain muscle to help with insulin sensitivity so I focused on compound exercises mostly (deadlift, bench, squat, overhead press) with some other things to round out such as pull-ups and bicep curls. I'm currently still doing full body workouts. 

Between now and the end of April I will be focusing on strength. I will be lifting heavier with sets of 5 or less for the most part. I may go up to 4 "sprints" for cardio at some point. I'm hoping for an A1C between 4.8 and 5.0 on the next test.

I did 1 rep max testing with Lee from the Power Plant and here is what I pulled on 11/22/17
Squat 235
Bench 220
Deadlift 285


Comments:
Haven't seen you in person in a while, but I too find your blog to be helpful. For one reason, it's a reminder that people like us who put in a lot of work face obstacles on the regular. That our fitness journeys are not narrow, straight roads. Reminds me of a meme I saw once, comparing this narrow straight road to what it really is; a hardcore ugly looking zig-zag of a path.

I've gained about 3-4 pounds in my first 7 weeks of clean bulking, and no fat increase! Couldn't be more proud of myself. This accomplishment is a first. I deload next week and the week after, then take on a 4-day split for 7 weeks! It'll be challenging, moreso because of other stuff happening, but am gonna take it head on.

I like how your summary mixes experience with video. I ended up making pretty much the same changes as you, but over a much longer period of time. I'm lucky I didn't get diabetes, especially because it runs in the family.

You're an inspiration to many Enrique! To me for sure. And to so many more who don't know it yet, and will cross paths with you in the future. Keep up the good work!
 
Thank you R. Martinez!

That's some impressive work you're doing!!! It inspires me.

I'm pretty sure I gained some fat during my hypertrophy stage. It's all strength now and hopefully I'll lose about 10 pounds over the next 8 weeks.


 
Hi Enrique. I give you a ton of shit every week on this blog but I just wanted to say I'm sincerely sorry about your Mom. Peace.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?