Saturday, January 20, 2018

Catching Up 1/20/17

I've been super busy and my computer has been having problems so I'm behind on the blog. I got over my cold and headed back to the gym. So I'll start from yesterday and work my way back to the last post. I'm working out tomorrow with family so I'm probably taking today off from the gym.

Yesterday (Friday) I did HIIT with the resistance on the bike at 23 for the sprints. Since they are new machines and go beyond 20 like the old machines I've been slowing getting toward maxing out. 23 is definitely hard. I'll do 24 next week.

I had to cut my Thursday workout short so I put off accessory lifts to yesterday.
I did 3 sets of 4 on the bodyweight pull-ups, 3 sets of 13 with 30lb dumbbells for overhead lifts, and 2 sets of 11, and one set of 12 with 20lb dumbbells for curls.

Thursday the 18th I had to cut my workout short so I lifted
Deadlifts 185lbs for three sets of 10 and one set of 11.
Squats 155lbs for three sets of 10 and one set of 11.
Incline Bench 120lbs for four sets of 8.

Wednesday I did HIIT with resistance set at 23. For those who may be reading for the first time High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is supposed to be helpful for blood sugar issues which is why I have chosen this form of cardio. I do 2 minute warm up and 20 seconds all out sprint then two minutes of cruising in between. I do 3 sprints total each workout.

Tuesday 
Deadlifts 185lbs for four sets of 10.
Squats 155lbs for four sets of 10.
Incline Bench 120lbs for four sets of 8.

Body weight pull-ups for three sets of 4.
Overhead press with 30lb dumbbells for two sets of 13 and one set of 8.
Barbell Curls with 20lb dumbbells for three sets of 11.

Monday I did HIIT with resistance on 23 for sprints.

Friday 1/12 (I used a M-W-F lifting schedule and missed Saturday due to an event)
Deadlifts 180lbs for three sets of 10 and one set of 12.
Squats 159lbs for three sets of 10 and one set of 12.
Incline Bench 115lbs for three sets of 10 and one set of 8.

Body weight pull-ups for three sets of 4.
Overhead press with 30lb dumbbells for three sets of 12.
Barbell Curls with 20lb dumbbells for three sets of 10.

Thursday HIIT with resistance on 22 for sprints.

Wednesday 
Deadlifts 180lbs for three sets of 10 and one set of 11.
Squats 159lbs for three sets of 10 and one set of 11.
Incline Bench 115lbs for three sets of 10 and one set of 9.

Body weight pull-ups for three sets of 4.
Overhead press with 30lb dumbbells for three sets of 12.
Barbell Curls with 20lb dumbbells for two sets of 10 and one set of 11.

Tuesday HIIT with resistance set on 22 for sprints.

Monday the 8th was my last post and that workout is published. Nice to be caught up.

I continue this routine for 3 weeks and deload on the week of February 11. Don't know if I'll be doing sets of 10 the whole time. My deadlifts will be at 200 with the current progression, squats could be at 170, and incline bench at 135 which was an arbitrary goal I had set for myself. My incline bench has already dropped to sets of 8. Sets of 6 is the lowest I'll go and then I'll stay at whatever weight that would be until I can get more reps in. From February 18 to April 27 I'm considering sets of 5 with much higher weight. I'll probably keep the same accessory work. I'll have to consider whether to go to flat bench with that or stay with incline. I'm still new enough to make progress with almost anything. I'll try and check in more regularly with my coach as that approaches. 


KEEP GRINDING!

ABOUT THE BLOG: This blog started years ago to talk about self-care and weightlifting. It stopped for a few years. It was been restarted when I was told that I was diabetic. I had an A1C of 9.3. A1C is an estimate of your blood sugar level over the last 3 months and 6.5 is pre-diabetic, and usually over 7 is considered diabetic. In March I was re-tested and my A1C was 5.0. That's below pre-diabetic (so, essentially non-diabetic). It was nice to have my doctor say, "you used to be diabetic." I'm still working on improving my insulin sensitivity and not thinking I'm out of the woods yet. My September retest came back with and A1C of 4.9. It is exciting to be working on this and I'm pleased people feel inspired by reading this blog. 

The results were from diet and exercise. Here is a quick summary of how I responded to being diagnosed as diabetic. I'm going to post this review every so often. Mostly when I post the blog to Twitter or Facebook.

My lifting approach was to gain muscle to help with insulin sensitivity so I focused on compound exercises mostly (deadlift, bench, squat, overhead press) with some other things to round out such as pull-ups and bicep curls. I'm currently still doing full body workouts. 

Between now and mid-February I will be trying to gain muscle with 60% of my 1 rep max weight and 4 sets of 8 or more. Then from there until the end of April I will change to sets of 5 or less with higher weight. I may go up to 4 "sprints" at some point. I'm hoping for an A1C between 4.8 and 5.0 on the next test.

I did 1 rep max testing with Lee from the Power Plant and here is what I pulled on 11/22/17
Squat 235
Bench 220
Deadlift 285

Comments:
Welcome back, Enrique! I thought you simply said F*** it and started HIITing (HAHA) the cervesa, enchiladas, tortillas and frijoles again.
 
WTF? Quien es esta/e puta/o? People doing good things will always have haters. What's even more sad than having nothing better to do than hate on others is being a coward and hiding behind your words. Get a f*cking life. LMFAO

Your doing great Enrique! I thought about you when I saw this website with keto recipes. https://www.ruled.me/keto-recipes/

I'm about to start week 3 of clean bulking. Pretty sure I got off to a good start, but will check my progress soon to confirm, and be ready to make changes to the diet as needed. Hoping to find that sweet spot ASAP and cruise with it for 5-6 months.



 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?