Friday, December 08, 2017

Thursday Update - 12/8/17

There are new bikes at the gym. So I'm still using "19" on the resistance for the sprints and the new bike goes to 25. So I will just adjust and get up to 25 eventually. 

Here's what I'm lifting this week:

Tuesday
Deadlifts 205 for four sets of 8 reps
Squats 170 for four sets of 8 reps
Incline Bench 130 for three sets of 8 reps and one set of 6
Assisted Pull-Ups -35 for four sets of 8 reps
Overhead Press 65 with barbell for three sets of 8 reps and one set of 12
Curls 55 with barbell for four sets of 8 reps


Thursday
Deadlifts 205 for three sets of 8 and one set of 9
Squats 170 for three sets of 8 and one set of 9
Incline Bench 130 three sets of 8 and one set of 7
Assisted Pull-Ups -35 for four sets of 8 reps
Overhead Press 70 with barbell for four sets of 8 reps
Curls 55 with barbell for three sets of 8 and one set of 9


I will workout Saturday with the same weight and Tuesday try what Lee Sillas, from the Power Plant, called a "Load by Feel" day. 

I'll use the weight below to start my workout on Tuesday and go to form failure (to where my form starts to go bad, instead of to where my ability to lift fails). 
Deadlift 170
Squat 140
Incline Bench 105

Assisted Pull-Ups -40
Overhead Press with barbell 70
Curls with barbell 55


I'll adjust set by set and go from there. I will 


KEEP GRINDING!

ABOUT THE BLOG: This blog started years ago to talk about self-care and weightlifting. It stopped for a few years. It was been restarted when I was told that I was diabetic. I had an A1C of 9.3. A1C is an estimate of your blood sugar level over the last 3 months and 6.5 is pre-diabetic, and usually over 7 is considered diabetic. In March I was re-tested and my A1C was 5.0! That's below pre-diabetic (so, essentially non-diabetic). It was nice to have my doctor say, "you used to be diabetic." I'm still working on improving my insulin sensitivity and not thinking I'm out of the woods yet. My September retest came back with and A1C of 4.9. It is exciting and I want to keep getting healthier.

The results were from diet and exercise. Here is a quick summary of how I responded to being diagnosed as diabetic. I'm going to post this review every so often. Mostly when I post the blog to Twitter or Facebook.



My lifting approach was to gain muscle to help with insulin sensitivity so I focused on compound exercises mostly (deadlift, bench, squat, overhead press) with some other things to round out such as pull-ups and bicep curls. I'm currently still doing full body workouts.

Between now and mid-February I will be trying to gain muscle with 70% of my 1 rep max weight and 4 sets of 8 or more. Then from there until the end of April I will change to sets of 5 or less with higher weight. I may go up to 4 "sprints" at some point. I'm hoping for an A1C of 4.8 on the next test. I did 1 rep max testing with Lee from the Power Plant and here is what I pulled on 11/22/17
Squat 235
Bench 220
Deadlift 285


Comments:
The power. The strength. The mass. The cuts. The definition. Go for it Enrique!!!
 
Where are the videos for Sin Limité on Youtube? Every time I look up the band there are other bands that ripped off your band's name. You should sue them. I need music to work out to.
 
Thanks for the encouragement!

The Sin Límite videos are mostly short ones. I'll try to get some full songs up in the new year. :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?