Monday, November 06, 2017

Missed last week's Check-In

I did workout on Saturday and I made it to gym today but all of the bikes were taken so I did my Vo2 Max test.

Apparently on the machine I have a 65.0 VO2 Max on the Gerkin test. Last test I can recall is from February and that was 41.3. I'll continue to browse my posts and update the progress page as appropriate

I'm still weighing in around 150 pounds plus or minus two pounds on any given day.

Here's what I did on Saturday and below will be my goals for next week.

Deadlifts 175 pounds for 3 sets of 5 and one set of 8.
Squats 145 pounds for three sets of 5 and one set of 8.
Incline Bench Press 115 pounds for three sets of 5 and one set of 12.
Assisted Pull-Up -35 pounds for three sets of 5 and one set of 11.
Overhead Press 50 pounds for two sets of 5 and two sets of 12.
Dumbbell Curls 50 pounds for three sets of 5 and one set of 10.


For this week:
Deadlifts 180 pounds
Squats 150 pounds
Incline Bench Press 120 pounds
Assisted Pull-Up -30 pounds
Overhead Press 55 pounds
Dumbbell Curls 50 pounds

Doing 21 minutes of cardio (actually 3 minutes if you only count the "sprints") is really hard for people to understand. People feel like we have to sweat for long periods. I think there is benefit to that. Doesn't work for me and my chronic pain.


ABOUT THE BLOG: This blog started years ago to talk about self-care and weightlifting. It stopped for a few years. It was been restarted when I was told that I was diabetic. I had an A1C of 9.3. A1C is an estimate of your blood sugar level over the last 3 months and 6.5 is pre-diabetic, and usually over 7 is considered diabetic. In March I was re-tested and my A1C was 5.0! That's below pre-diabetic (so, essentially non-diabetic). It was nice to have my doctor say, "you used to be diabetic." I'm still working on improving my insulin sensitivity and not thinking I'm out of the woods yet. My September retest came back with and A1C of 4.9. It is exciting

The results were from diet and exercise. Here is a quick summary of how I responded to being diagnosed as diabetic. I'm going to post this review every so often. Mostly when I post the blog to Twitter or Facebook.

My lifting approach was to gain muscle to help with insulin sensitivity so I focused on compound exercises mostly (deadlift, bench, squat, overhead press) with some other things to round out lat pulldowns, rows, and side lateral raises. I'm currently still doing full body for some muscle development and more focused on strength for a few months. That's why I'm doing 4 sets of 5 instead of 3 sets of 8 or more.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?