Saturday, November 11, 2017

11/11/17 Weekend Check-In

November 11, 1887, 130 years ago today, 4 people were hung for their participation in the efforts to create an 8 hour work day that we take for granted now. Turns out they were not truly proven guilty. The 8 hour day which is clearly seen as a right now wasn't being blocked by foreign invaders. It was blocked by US business interests and our government, supported by armed forces such as police, state militias, and on occasion federal troops. I think it is important to remember this.


What I lifted today:
Deadlifts 180 pounds for three sets of 5 and one set of 10.
Squats 150 pounds for three sets of 5 and one set of 10.
Incline Bench Press 120 pounds for three sets of 5 and one set of 8. I paused at the bottom to try and get that type of form down for this.
Assisted Pull-Up -30 pounds for three sets of 5 and one set of 9.
Overhead Press 55 pounds for three sets of 5 and one set of 12. I used slow eccentric on the last set.
Dumbbell Curls 50 pounds for three sets of 5 and one set of 12.


It was nice to run into people at the gym that I know and they asked for some help with Deadlifts. I'm not the best but gave some basic advice and support.

For this coming week: Deadlifts 185 pounds
Squats 155 pounds
Incline Bench Press 125 pounds
Assisted Pull-Up -25 pounds
Overhead Press 55 pounds
Dumbbell Curls 55 pounds

ABOUT THE BLOG: This blog started years ago to talk about self-care and weightlifting. It stopped for a few years. It was been restarted when I was told that I was diabetic. I had an A1C of 9.3. A1C is an estimate of your blood sugar level over the last 3 months and 6.5 is pre-diabetic, and usually over 7 is considered diabetic. In March I was re-tested and my A1C was 5.0! That's below pre-diabetic (so, essentially non-diabetic). It was nice to have my doctor say, "you used to be diabetic." I'm still working on improving my insulin sensitivity and not thinking I'm out of the woods yet. My September retest came back with and A1C of 4.9. It is exciting

The results were from diet and exercise. Here is a quick summary of how I responded to being diagnosed as diabetic. I'm going to post this review every so often. Mostly when I post the blog to Twitter or Facebook.

My lifting approach was to gain muscle to help with insulin sensitivity so I focused on compound exercises mostly (deadlift, bench, squat, overhead press) with some other things to round out lat pulldowns, rows, and side lateral raises. I'm currently still doing full body for some muscle development and more focused on strength for a few months. That's why I'm doing 4 sets of 5 instead of 3 sets of 8 or more.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?