Sunday, September 17, 2017

Arbitrary Goals - Sept 2017

Yesterday I talked about a video I ran across and it had some goals. I'm going to fill that in for my current weight of around 150 pounds. I'll also do everything in pounds for now. My primary goal is to be healthy. You can read to the bottom if you want to see how that's going.

I didn't include the waist as they would have me at the 27 in range. I don't think I need to do that. The physiques mentioned in the video come with strength goals and those are more important to me.

I also looked at the symmetric strength goals and I'm at intermediate level pretty much now so the next category is "proficient" and that's what I'll use for my end of  November goals for 5 reps. That would be benching 170, squatting 225, and deadlifting 260. I feel like that might be doable in 10 weeks, and if not definitely by the end of the year.

The goals in the video were:
Warrior - 
Incline bench 5 reps of 1.1 bodyweight (165)
Weighted chin-ups 5 reps with 30% bodyweight attached (45 pounds added)
Standing Shoulder Press 5 reps 0.7 bodyweight (105)
Bicep Curls 5 reps 0.55 bodyweight (82.5)


Greek God - 
Incline bench 5 reps of 1.25 bodyweight (187.5)
Weighted chin-ups 5 reps with 50% bodyweight attached (75 pounds added)
Standing Shoulder Press 5 reps 0.85 bodyweight (127.5)
Bicep Curls 5 reps 0.65 bodyweight (97.5)


Superhero - 
Incline bench 5 reps of 1.4 bodyweight (210)
Weighted chin-ups 5 reps with 70% bodyweight attached (105 pounds added)
Standing Shoulder Press 5 reps with bodyweight (150)
Bicep Curls 5 reps 0.75 bodyweight (112.5)

These are goals that may take me a year to get to level one. What I'm thinking I'll do is to start these lifts as my core lifts for every workout starting December. I'll do deadlifts and squats as well and that's 6 exercises. I'm currently doing 7 exercises per workout so I may add calf raises, or wrist curls for body balance. I have lots of time to think about it. I'm going to try and go back to sleep and sleep in a little today.

ABOUT THE BLOG: This blog started years ago to talk about self-care and weightlifting. It stopped for a few years. It was been restarted when I was told that I was diabetic. I had an A1C of 9.3. A1C is an estimate of your blood sugar level over the last 3 months and 6.5 is pre-diabetic, and usually over 7 is considered diabetic. In March I was re-tested and my A1C was 5.0! That's below pre-diabetic (so, essentially non-diabetic). It was nice to have my doctor say, "you used to be diabetic." I'm still working on improving my insulin sensitivity and not thinking I'm out of the woods yet. My September retest came back with and A1C of 4.9. It is exciting

The results were from diet and exercise. Here is a quick summary of how I responded to being diagnosed as diabetic. I'm going to post this review every so often. Mostly when I post the blog to Twitter or Facebook.

My lifting approach is to gain muscle so I'm focusing on compound exercises mostly (deadlift, bench, squat, overhead press) with some other things to round out lat pulldowns, rows, and side lateral raises. I'm going to adjust my workouts in December. 

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?