Saturday, September 23, 2017

9/23/17 Changing up Workout

Next week is deload. I have decided to change a little bit toward some different lifts. So my workout looks different today. The squat rack was full the whole time today so no squats today I did the leg press machine instead.

There's been lots of stress both at home and at work. That definitely made it mentally hard to push for heavy weight.

I weighed in at 149.8 pounds and waist measurement was 91 cm.

Here's what I did today for 3 sets of 5 reps unless I write something else:

Deadlift 225 for 3 reps, then 215 for 3, and 205 for 3, maybe with more sleep I could have done sets of 5.
Flat bench for 155
Since I'm going to move to incline bench I added that today at 95 pounds to start getting used to it.
I went for Overhead Dumbbell press today 10 lbs for 20 reps, then 20 for 10, then 30 for 5, and 40 for 5. Tried the 45 and I'm not strong enough to get it over my shoulders!
I went ahead and did the "Chin-Assist" machine and started with -100 pounds for 10 reps, then -80 for 10, and then -50 for 5.
Row Machine 135 for one set, and 140 for two sets.
Lat Side Raises 25 for 5 because someone was using the 20s. Then 3 sets of 20 pounds for 8 reps.
Leg Press 175, 210, 270 for 5 reps each.
Adding curls and I went 25 pound dumbbells for 3 sets of 5.

I'll figure out tomorrow what I want to do to use the deload week to help me transition into the new workout. Probably super light next week and I'll only get two workouts before a work trip. Then October will begin a linear progression of 3-4 sets of 5 and increase as often as can be done with good form.

I had a doc friend tell me to stop wasting my energy on checking my glucose. I had asked how I was testing once a week with a fasting glucose of over 100 and got a 4.9 A1C. It's a puzzle I'm still trying to figure out without worrying more than I need to. Symmetric Strength, the Navy Bodyfat Calculator, and the Fat Free Mass Index are helping me set goals. I'll see if I can reduce the 33 pounds of fat, and increase the 117 lean mass.

If I get to 15% bodyfat my highest weight should be 173 lbs, and that's at "hulk" level of bulkiness. 167 pounds "muscular." At 10% it seems that 160 and 155 which makes sense to me. I had told my doc after my first A1C retest that I thought that 155 should be my max weight for the rest of my life. Intermittent Fasting should help me with that. It has made the weight maintenance continue smoothly.

Much Love to All! 

Keeping up with my IF, HIIT, and Lifting! 


ABOUT THE BLOG: This blog started years ago to talk about self-care and weightlifting. It stopped for a few years. It was been restarted when I was told that I was diabetic. I had an A1C of 9.3. A1C is an estimate of your blood sugar level over the last 3 months and 6.5 is pre-diabetic, and usually over 7 is considered diabetic. In March I was re-tested and my A1C was 5.0! That's below pre-diabetic (so, essentially non-diabetic). It was nice to have my doctor say, "you used to be diabetic." I'm still working on improving my insulin sensitivity and not thinking I'm out of the woods yet. My September retest came back with and A1C of 4.9. It is exciting

The results were from diet and exercise. Here is a quick summary of how I responded to being diagnosed as diabetic. I'm going to post this review every so often. Mostly when I post the blog to Twitter or Facebook.

My lifting approach is to gain muscle to help with insulin sensitivity so I'm focusing on compound exercises mostly (deadlift, incline bench, squat, overhead press, and pullups) with some other things to round out like curls. I'm going to adjust my workouts now in October for that.

(EDIT: 33 views in about an hour! Thank you all!) 

Comments:
Thanks for sharing the resources. I should have tracked my progress in detail yesterday using the Navy Bodyfat Calculator, but got lazy. I'll do this next week when I'm feeling better. Symmetric Strength website looks interesting. I'm going to enter my numbers and see what comes out of it.
 
Let me know. :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?