Saturday, June 17, 2017

6/17/17 Weekly Check-In

Last week I was asked, "what is your strategy?" I like that question. At the end of this post is an overview about the blog. Currently I'm a returning lifter that re-started for health reasons. I'm still in a fairly much "starting" phase where most of what I do will give me progress as long as I'm not getting any injuries or overtraining. Since I was diagnosed with diabetes I'm doing High Intensity Interval Training on the exercise bike for improving my insulin sensitivity. I understand that muscle mass is good for insulin resistance, and also for processing glucose.

So I'm lifting light enough that I think I can still do full-body workouts on lifting that I can recuperate and grow some mass. At some point I'll switch things up. Maybe at the end of summer.

Here is this week's work.

Monday and Wednesday I did HIIT on the exercise bike. I'm doing 3 sets of 20 seconds with resistance set on 15. I usually do 3 days and just skipped one this week.

Tuesday
Deadlift, 125 for 3 sets of 12. 
Bench for 3 sets of 12 reps with 105 pounds. It was challenging.
Squat for 3 sets of 12 reps with 120 pounds. I was planning on going to 110 and accidently put on more weight. I did OK so I'm keeping this.

Overhead Press one set of 35, and two sets of 55 for 12 reps.
Lat Pulldowns, Rows, and Abs machine for 3 sets of 12 with 75 pounds.


Thursday
Deadlift, 130 for 3 sets of 10.
Bench for 3 sets of 10 reps with 110 pounds.
Squat for 3 sets of 10 reps with 125 pounds.

Overhead Press one set of 35, and two sets of 55 for 12 reps.
Lat Pulldowns, Rows, and Abs machine for 3 sets of 12 with 75 pounds.

Saturday
Deadlift, 135 for 3 sets of 8. It was good to put the 45s on the bar. I decided to try the "as many reps as possible" (AMRAP) for the last set and did 11.
Bench for 3 sets of 8 reps with 115 pounds. The AMRAP on this was 10.
Squat for 3 sets of 8 reps with 115 pounds and the AMRAP  was 10.
Overall that means I'm adapting well to the lifts and I feel pretty good about that.

Overhead Press one set of 35, and two sets of 55 for 12 reps.
Lat Pulldowns, Rows, and Abs machine for 3 sets of 12 with 75 pounds.

I was doing super sets on Lat Pulldowns and Rows and someone cut in so I went and learned how to use the pull-up machine and did a set of 10 on that and then went and did the final set on the pulldown machine. I did 15 on the last set of rows also just to see how many I could get.

Next week is deload week so I'll go 115 deadlift, 105 squats, and 95 bench for 2 sets of 12 and then start again with 120 deadlift, 110 squats, and 100 bench and use the same periodization. I'll have one week on, then see if I can lift during vacation. If I can't I'll have a week off then restart with this weight and do a 3-5 week increasing cycle until next deload.

ABOUT THE BLOG:
This blog started years ago to talk about self-care and weightlifting. It stopped for a few years. It was been restarted when I was told that I was diabetic. I had an A1C of 9.3. A1C is an estimate of your blood sugar level over the last 3 months and 6.5 is pre-diabetic, and usually over 7 is considered diabetic. In March I was re-tested and my A1C was 5.0! That's below pre-diabetic (so, essentially non-diabetic). It was nice to have my doctor say, "you used to be diabetic." I'm still working on improving my insulin sensitivity and not thinking I'm out of the woods yet.

It was mostly diet and some exercise. Here is a quick summary of how I responded to being diagnosed as diabetic. I'm going to post this review every so often. Mostly when I post the blog to Twitter or Facebook.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?