Sunday, May 28, 2017

New Workout Using DUP

This blog started years ago to talk about self-care and weightlifting. It stopped for a few years. It has been restarted when I was told that I was diabetic. I had an A1C of 9.3. A1C is an estimate of your blood sugar level over the last 3 months and 6.5 is pre-diabetic, and usually over 7 is considered diabetic. In March I was re-tested and my A1C was 5.0! That's below pre-diabetic (so, essentially non-diabetic). It was nice to have my doctor say, "you used to be diabetic."

It was mostly diet and some exercise. Here is a quick summary of how I responded to being diagnosed as diabetic. I'm going to post this review every so often. Mostly when I post the blog to Twitter or Facebook.

I have fallen way out of shape and slowly getting healthier.

NOTE:
I will also delete inappropriate comments. Comments that are off topic, sexist, racist, etc.

Enough of all of that. Below is my new workout using Daily Undulating Periodization/Programming. (Video Below)

This is what I intend and I will adjust up or down depending on performance. I'm not going to hurt myself.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday - HIIT for 3 20 second sprints on an exercise bike with resistance set on 16 and going up by 1 each week until I get to 20.

Tuesday
Deadlift, Bench, and Squat for 3 sets of 12 reps and I will start with 95 pounds
Overhead Press, Lat Pulldowns, Rows, and Abs machine for 3 sets of 12 with moderate weight.

Thursday
Deadlift, Bench, and Squat for 3 sets of 10 reps at 100 pounds
Overhead Press, Lat Pulldowns, Rows, and Abs machine for 3 sets of 12 with moderate weight.

Saturday
Deadlift, Bench, and Squat for 3 sets of 8 reps at 105 pounds. If I can go past 8 reps on the last set of each I will and that will help me guess what weight to adjust to. If I can't get to 8 I'll stay until I can finish the set with good form.
Overhead Press, Lat Pulldowns, Rows, and Abs machine for 3 sets of 12 with moderate weight.

I intend to go up 5 pounds and drop one rep on the three compound lifts (Deadlift, Bench, and Squat). On the other lifts I'll go up to 15 reps before adding any weight. My assumption is that any extra muscle mass will help me with insulin and blood sugar issues, and any strength and endurance will just improve quality of life.

Hopefully I'm explaining that well enough. I'm hoping that beyond getting in a generalized "in shape" that I improve my insulin sensitivity, and that I get improved sense of energy for family, home, work, music, art, playing MTG, and other activities.

I want to be around for a long time for my family, including my wonderful little grandson!


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?