Friday, October 12, 2012

10/12/12 Continuing On!

I did some travel and had a cold. So slowed down overall. 

Next week I will start lifting again. I will look over the weekend for potential routines. 

I will also start looking at High Intensity Training (HIT). 

It started when a doctor recommended that I watch the documentary the "Truth About Exercise." It talks about a variety of ways to move my body differently and expectations. 

There are also articles online. Such as "Is High Intensity Training for You?"which reviews the movie a bit and point out that the HIT can be used from 7 minutes to 25 minutes a workout. Given how tired and busy (read overwhelmed) I tend to feel these days I will try and adapted version. I will try 1 minute of jumping jacks with 2 minutes of rest for three sets 3 or more days a week. 

Weight training may be better for glycemic control than aerobic training. This article recommends 150 minutes a week, so walking or some other exercise 30 minutes a day for 5 days a week is a good goal to set. It is also likely that reductions in colon and breast cancer may be do to physical activity. For osteoporosis it seems that weight lifting appears to have the best benefit for prevention. (And for those who worry - "The benefits clearly outweigh the potential risks, particularly in older people.")

This article (Health Benefits of Physical Activity: The Evidence" points out that resistance training and flexibility exercises twice a week to maintain functional status and improve quality of life. My thought is maybe lift 2-3 times a week with stretching (or yoga) also 2-3 time a week. Then 3 HIT days may be helpful... just brainstorming 

Since I love lifting I had to look for another article here's one quote "Research also indicates that virtually all the benefits of resistance training are likely to be obtained in two 15- to 20-min training sessions a week." This is from Potential Health-Related Benefits of Resistance Training

Since I have high blood pressure I think I need to work on HIT since it is also related to lowering blood pressure, as well as improving insulin sensitivity, and improving HDL-C. 

KEEP LIFTING!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?