Monday, July 21, 2008

July 21, 2008

Weekend was fun. I went to a friend's house to watch fights and drank too much and stayed too late. Hopefully they'll still invite me back later.

One fire on the block next to me and paramedics have been around a couple of times. Things seem calmer, but with 130 households on one street there is definitely challenges going on regularly.

I'm getting a really interesting lecture from a young activist in the community around criminalizing people, "the barrio" and gentrification. I don't know whether to feel sad or laugh. The young brother, who lives in a much calmer part of the 'hood than I is trying to show me the error of my ways for doing what I need to in keeping my family safe.

He sees housing redevelopment as "pacification through beautification." I understand the concern. I live in low income housing, unlike the bro educating me. Not that he lives in upscale housing, but driving through his part of the 'hood it is definitely much different. I definitely think that changing housing is key for health, but don't know if local government is committed to doing that without a complete displacement of people. That's the tricky part.

I do think things can change, but they aren't going to change by making excuses for criminal behavior nor "that's all a pipe dream" mentality. That sounds too much like lefty, "people of color" self-victimization to me.

KEEP LEFTING!!!

Labels: ,


Comments:
The young brother has too many 'tion's and not enough sense. Unless you are stealing food and clothing to survive, there's little excusable about the kind of criminal activity you have had to deal with. It is a rare person (and generally a disorder, right?) who doesn't understand the basic differences between right and wrong, regardless of background, ethnicity, upbringing, etc. I call shenanigans on your young friend.

Gentrification? Pacification by beautification? Did we used to talk like that? Oy!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?