Monday, October 17, 2005

10/17/05 Restarting with Deadlifts!!!

Today is Michelle M's bday. She doesn't check the blog regularly, but some of her co-workers do.

OK, started again with my workouts. Deadlifted 190 lbs for 5 reps today. I worked up from a set at 110, 130, 150, 170, then the 190. This is the most weight I've ever lifted in a workout.

Felt a pop on the dumbbell presses so I stopped my workout about 75% through. I'll keep an eye on things and adjust from there.

The week off of working out was probably helpful. First full week off of working out since December. Still tired, but I've also been off of vitamins and such for the week. I weighed in at 168.8 today so I measured that on the progress. I haven't stayed under 170 for a whole week yet, but with the weight lifting its hard to say which direction I should be going in. I'm gonna focus on trying to lose more bodyfat. I'll check in November to see if I've made any progress on the body fat.

On the other hand, Robert is moving some heavy iron. And he doesn't seem like the righty kinda lifter. Something about bodybuilding seems to attract the right wing, I don't know if its the individualism, the power thing, or what. Maybe its just that Arnold is the role model for that sport. I always think that a "lefty lifters" club would be cool.

I'll get 200 on the deadlift next week. Even if I can only do it for 2 reps, I'll go for it. I could feel the workout as I walked to work this morning. Like the stiff from picking strawberrys the first day.

* * *
Played the last public gig with Mezcla Latina on Friday. Though it was far from technically perfect, the energy was fun. We had a great crowd and blew through mistakes. It was nice and I'm gonna sorta miss some of that. Some of it I won't miss though. Got offered $500 for an hour and a half. I'll follow up and see if it was the booze talking.

The gig with my kids got cancelled because of rain. I did buy a Hartke Kickback 12 bass amp and a Fender guitar amp. All with the cash from the last few weeks of gigging. That's gonna dry up now with the break-up of Mezcla Latina, but I'll just have to figure out some gigs for the other groups I'm with.

Had rehearsal on Friday before the other gig, with the kids. They were on it. Then we had rehearsal last night and man - no focus. I didn't lose it, but they told my I looked frustrated. I said I was but that we'd move through it. We'll be working on new songs, vocal harmonizing, and starting on songwriting. We've written one cumbia, and started working on a funk groove. I think this will be a good step. The kids didn't want lessons earlier when I had the cash for it, they wanted me to teach them. Last night I asked them what they wanted from me to help them get better, and they told me it was their responsibility. I was happy, but have seen lately that means not practicing. So I'll probably do some lesson-type stuff at rehearsals.

We'll be doing lots of extra rehearsals for awhile. As a teen I remember rehearsing 3-5 nights a week for two or more hours a night, often three or four hours. After 3 years we had about 100 songs. We could play weddings and clubs. We had about 8 originals. Maybe this will get us through the next level of improvement. They like playing, but some they are still less consistent than necessary if they are gonna make anytyhing out of this - when other people ask them they say they'd like to be musicians. Now will be the time to put in the work.

Still having family issues going on, but more on that later.

Siempre - KEEP LIFTING!!!!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?