Monday, December 04, 2017

Plan for the Week 12/4/17

Thinking about someone who passed on years ago on this date.

Did my HIIT routine with resistance on 19 for the sprint portion. The gym will have new bikes tomorrow so I'll see how to adapt going forward.

Here's what I'm hoping to lift this week, all for four sets of 8. Might adjust the overhead press weight if it feels easy.

Deadlifts 205
Squats 170
Incline Bench 130
Assisted Pull-Ups -35
Overhead Press 65 with barbell
Curls 55 with barbell

KEEP GRINDING! ABOUT THE BLOG: This blog started years ago to talk about self-care and weightlifting. It stopped for a few years. It was been restarted when I was told that I was diabetic. I had an A1C of 9.3. A1C is an estimate of your blood sugar level over the last 3 months and 6.5 is pre-diabetic, and usually over 7 is considered diabetic. In March I was re-tested and my A1C was 5.0! That's below pre-diabetic (so, essentially non-diabetic). It was nice to have my doctor say, "you used to be diabetic." I'm still working on improving my insulin sensitivity and not thinking I'm out of the woods yet. My September retest came back with and A1C of 4.9. It is exciting

The results were from diet and exercise. Here is a quick summary of how I responded to being diagnosed as diabetic. I'm going to post this review every so often. Mostly when I post the blog to Twitter or Facebook.

My lifting approach was to gain muscle to help with insulin sensitivity so I focused on compound exercises mostly (deadlift, bench, squat, overhead press) with some other things to round out such as pull-ups and bicep curls. I'm currently still doing full body workouts.

Between now and mid-February I will be trying to gain muscle with 70% of my 1 rep max weight and 4 sets of 8 or more. Then from there until the end of April I will change to sets of 5 or less with higher weight. I may go up to 4 "sprints" at some point. I'm hoping for an A1C of 4.8 on the next test. I did 1 rep max testing with Lee from the Power Plant and here is what I pulled on 11/22/17
Squat 235
Bench 220
Deadlift 285

Comments:
So when are you going to post your maxes? Max bench, squats, curls, overhead press, etc? The people want to know.
 
Duh on me. I guess I should actually read your article in full before posting. HAHA Maybe if I hadn't been half watching TV and full curling a 12oz at the time I would have noticed you did post your maxes. Be careful lifting brother.
 
Thanks for the comments :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?